1. Ever wondered how your brain is involved in executing an instruction? For instance, if someone says "Pass the salt"....what happens?
2. The fetch-decode-execute cycle is the sequence of steps that the CPU follows to process instructions. This is also sometimes called the ...
3. Here is a diagram (Source: BBC Bitesize) of the Fetch Decode Execute cycle. Out of the following options, what happens first?
4. The next steps that occur in the Fetch Decode Execute cycle are shown in the excerpt below. Can you fill in the blanks?
5. The three stages of the FDE cycle are 'Fetch', 'Decode' and 'Execute'. What happens in the fetch stage?
6. What happens in the decode stage of the FDE cycle?
7. What happens in the 'execute' part of the FDE cycle?
8. Why is the fetch decode execute cycle called a cycle?
9. Describe the role of the 'program counter' in the fetch decode execute cycle.
10. The program counter stores the memory address of the next instruction to be fetched. What happens when that address has been used?