1. Computing is a fundamental intellectual tool in computing. Many famous computer scientists like Charles Babbage were also mathematicians.
2. There are symbols in maths that are obvious such as + = addition, but what is ^ ?
3. Just like in Maths there is the ________________________ for performing calculations, otherwise known as BODMAS/BIDMAS
4. What does the B in BODMAS mean?
5. Does 'Addition' come before or after 'Subtraction'?
7. Calculate: 3 x (7 - 3)
8. Mr Pinch says that 2 x 3 – 2 x 5 = -4. Mr Smarty says the answer is 10. Who is right, and why?
9. If you can watch the video to see this bright young chap employ modulo arithemtic to get the answer right What is an example of MOD?
10. MOD in python is %. What is 10 MOD 5?
13. An integer can be described as a whole number. Which of the following is an integer?
14. Which of the following is a real number?
15. (3 + 4) * (4 – 2) clearly evaluates to
16. For division the / symbol is used instead of the ÷ symbol as the latter is not on a
17. 5 / 2 evaluates to ….
18. 25 / 4 evaluates to 6.25. There are two different types of division used in programming
19. DIV or // is integer division which amounts to rounding down. In this case 25 DIV 4 would give you….
20. 17 DIV 5 evalutes to?
21. Suppose you wanted to write a program to find out if a number input was ODD or EVEN? What operator would be useful?
22. Read the following excerpt and see if you can fill in the blanks
23. What is 2 ^ 4 = 16 (2 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 16, or 24) an example of?
24. In Python the operator for DIV is //. If that is the case, what will the following evaluate to? 5//2:
25. This is a more difficult question - you may want to look up the reason: What does the following evaluate to: 5//-2