1. An operating system and a device driver are types of device hardware.
2. Peripheral Devices are hardware devices but are ______________________________.They are typically connected by cables (USB, network, firewire etc.) or wirelessly (Bluetooth, wireless network links etc.).
3. The Operating System (OS) of a computer is a set of hardware devices that control the way the user controls the computer and access application software. The OS also controls the way application software accesses computer hardware such as input and output
4. Operating systems are system's _______________ and examples include: Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 7, Mac OS X, LINUX and UNIX are all examples of operating systems used on computers.
5. CPUs need instructions to tell it what to do. These instructions are collected together to form a computer program. Fill in the blanks
6. What are the two main types of software?
7. How would you define Systems software? Read the text on the image below to help you select your answer.
8. What is 'bespoke' software? (consider that it is different from 'general purpose' software)
9. A printer driver (see excerpt below) is an example of:
10. Computing hardware is an essential component in any computer system. How would you define hardware?
11. PSU stands for Power Supply Unit and it is essential to powering up any PC.
12. What is the 'box' that all the components of a computer system fits into?
13. What are the names of the two components that help keep the CPU cool?
14. The purpose of the 'motherboard' is to hold all the hardware components together and allow them to communicate.
15. There are two types of cable that are used to attach internal components like optical drives and hard drives to the motherboard. They are the USB and SERIAL cables.