1. Mickey is a recording artist. He inputs his voice into a computer and it is converted into a ____________________ using an ADC.
2. Read the (long!) excerpt below and fill in the blanks at the end.
3. To create digital sound as close to the real thing as possible you need to take ____________________ as you can. When recording MP3s you'll normally use a sampling rate between 32,000, 44,100 and 48,000 Hz (samples per second)
4. The digital sound is 100% exactly the same shape as the analogue wave and therefore the sound quality is identical.
5. The sound quality can be improved by decreasing the sample rate
6. Sampling rate (measured in Hz) is __________
7. Some suggest that the sound must be sampled at twice the highest analogue input frequency to create an accurate representation of the original input waveform. This is called:
8. Sampling resolution is also called audio bit depth and is the _______________
9. How much disk space would a 120 second sound recording require?
10. If you wanted to record a 30 second voice message on your mobile phone you would use the following. Is the calculation at the end correct (true) or incorrect (false)?
11. What would this give you? Sampling Rate * Sampling Resolution
12. Work out the sample rate of the following sound file:
13. Why might a song recorded with the following settings have a file size of 7,040,000 bits?
14. Telephone networks and VOIP services can use a sample rate as low as 8 kHz. This uses less data to represent the audio
15. At 8 kHz, the human voice can still be heard clearly - but music at this sample rate would sound low quality.