1. Storage media is the physical object used to actually store the data.
2. A DVD writer is a storage device where as the DVD itself is an example of storage media.
3. Magnetic storage uses magnetic particles or 'domains' to store data. The direction of these particles represent _____________
4. A hard disk drive is an example of:
5. One of the disadvantages of magnetic storage is that data can be lost near strong magnetic fields such as being too near a Hi-Fi speaker
6. Which of the following retains its data even after the computer is switched off?
7. The hard disk is a computer's main internal backing store.
8. The size of a hard disk is best measured in bytes
9. A hard disk is a type of magnetic media
10. A CD-ROM is an example of zip solid state storage device
11. DVD stands for 'Digital Versatile Disc' as they are able to store a variety of data formats, though they are most commonly used for storing video.
12. A ______________would be the most suitable device to transport a file from home to school
13. Floppy disk, CD-ROM, DVD is the correct order of storage size, starting with the smallest.
14. Cloud storage is a service provided where your data is stored and managed and backed up ……
15. The data servers at the cloud data centre uses thousands of secondary storage devices such as hard disks and solid state drives to retain the data
16. A secondary storage device is the _______________ that carries out the storage action
17. When selecting an appropriate storage media device which of the following factors would you take into consideration:
18. Optical discs are more portable than hard disks
19. The following excerpt is a disadvantage of ______________
20. If you are using ____________you will need to remember a login and user name in order to access your data remotely
21. This type of storage is less durable than a hard disk as it has a limited number of erase \ write cycles - maybe a 100,000 cycles before it wears out.
22. ______________are silent unlike hard disks
23. You have a smart phone with 6GB of storage. You want to store music and photos on the phone. A typical mp3 encoded music file takes up 4MB.
How many tracks can be stored on the phone?
24. Imagine that a typical photo taken by a phone will be around 2MB. Convert GB into MB so you are using the same quantity. 6GB = 6000MB. How many photos can be stored?
25. Magnetic tape is the lowest cost per Gigbayte, so a few cheap cartriges can easily store 10TB.
26. Another disadvantage of the use of magnetic storage is that data read/write is not as fast as flash technology
27. Blu-ray disks are a type of solid state memory
28. In an optical disk (e.g. CD) a laser beam burns tiny dark spots on to the surface of the optical disk, in a ….
29. On an optical disk the pits and spots where there are no pits (lands) represent ….
30. Optical storage can be ….
31. Read only optical storage includes CD-R and BluRay-R. For these, once the laser has burned pits onto the surface of the disk, they….
32. The disadvantages of optical storage include:
33. Soild state media hold data using electronic switches. If the switch is open it's a 1, else a 0. This is ….
34. The advantages of cloud storage(for a company) include:
35. One obvious disadvantage of cloud storage is that you are tied to your machine at home for accessing your data and cannot do it anywhere with a network connection