1. What is the purpose of Binary Shifts? Why do we need them?
2. In essence, what is done in a binary shift?
3. To multiply, the digits are moved:
4. To divide, using a binary shift, the digits are moved:
5. When multiplying, if you move all the digits one place to the left, a 0 is inserted in the _______________
6. When dividing, the digits are moved and the….
7. True or False: Binary shifts cannot deal with fractions very well. Read the following and fill in the blanks.
8. Here is an example of a binary shift. Is the 'result' as shown, correct or incorrect?
9. What is the result in binary after doing the left shift?
10. If we wish to ______ we shift every bit to the left by one and insert a zero to the
rightmost bit. The original leftmost bit is discarded.
11. In decimal, you have the number 468, which is 111010100 in Binary. Shift it to the left to multiply by two and what happens?
12. If 9 bits cannot be stored in an 8 bit register an _________ occurs.
13. Overflow causes a lot of problems in the CPU and to address this a special __________(a single bit within a certain register) is used
14. In the following example, can you spot the error. We are trying to divide 8 using binary shift.
15. Can you spot the error in this binary shift (division)?