1. There are many schemes for ______________________________. One scheme is sign-magnitude
2. Sign and Magnitude uses one bit (usually the leftmost) to indicate the sign. "0" indicates a ____ integer, and "1" indicates a _______ integer.
3. The sign bit is used up and the rest of the bits are used for the _______________ of the number.
4. Using an 8 bit sign and magnitude number, the leftmost bit is used for the sign, which leaves 1 bit for the magnitude
5. In S&M, one pattern corresponds to "minus zero", 1000 0000. Another corresponds to "plus zero", 0000 0000
6. For signed binary numbers the_____________________ is used as the sign bit.
7. One of the advantages of sign and magnitude is that we have an increased range (due to the sign bit which is used)
8. 10001001 in S&M could represent:
9. minus 2 would be represented in S&M in the following way:
10. The following number would be _______ (it is in S&M representation)
11. In sign and magnitude, the following binary number - 010100000 - is:
12. In the following illustration, if the MSB was changed to '1', what would the number be?
13. The range of an 8-bit sign-magnitude integer is -128 to +128
14. There are different sign-magnitude representations for +0 and -0
15. Adding the negative of a number is not the same as subtraction in sign-magnitude. Different operations must be defined for addition and subtraction with sign-magnitude numbers