1. The _____________ uniquely identifies each record in the table. It can either be a normal field that is guaranteed to be unique or it can be generated by the DBMS
2. It is not possible for a primary key to consist of multiple fields in combination
3. What is the primary key in the Pupil table?
4. What is a reason for selecting the above answer and key as the primary key?
5. Which two ways could be used for the teacher to link the Pupil details to the Class details?
6. The following is defining a 'composite key': A primary key that involves more than one attribute (e.g. may be needed where the names of people are being stored without an ID field)
7. A foreign key is basically a primary key that is stored in another table.
8. Only flat file databases, and not relational databases, tend to use foreign keys
9. A database index allows a query to efficiently retrieve data from a database. Indexes are related to specific tables and consist of _________________
10. A table can have more than one index built from it. The keys are a fancy term for the values we want to look up in the index.
11. The keys are based on the tables’ columns. By comparing keys to the index it is possible to find ___________________
12. Since an index drastically _________ data retrieval, it is essential the correct indexes are defined for each table.
13. Missing indexes may not be noticed for _____databases, but rest assured, once your tables ____ in size, queries will take much longer.
14. A real database consultant wrote the following excerpt. What is he trying to demonstrate by telling this story?
15. The structure that is used to store a database index is called a ______. In a ______ the key values are separated into many smaller piles
16. A database index is a data structure that improves the speed of data retrieval operations on a database table at the cost of additional _____________ to maintain the index data structure
17. Most database software includes indexing technology that enables sub-linear time lookup to improve performance, as linear search is inefficient for large databases.
18. Which of the following guidelines indicate when the use of an index should be reconsidered. (or perhaps not used)
19. In SQL, The _____________statement is used to create indexes in tables.
20. An index in a database is very similar to an index in the back of a book. Fill in the blanks for this excerpt that shows the different types and SQL