1. What part of a computer system is most directly concerned with performing the actions called for by a program?
2. About how many different fundamental operations can most processors perform
3. What is a machine instruction?
4. Programming in machine code is very difficult as binary numbers are hard for a human to read and understand.To make things easier for programmers, the chip makers provide an 'Assembly Language' for their CPU
5. How many machine instructions can execute per second on a modern processor?
6. The architecture of a processor chip is a description of its basic components and of its basic operations. Each processor family has its own architecture.
7. The purpose of the CPU is to process data. The CPU is responsible for the following:
8. The CPU is NOT responsible for controlling all the other component parts of the computer e.g. Hard Disk, Graphics System etc.
9. The CPU is a very complicated little chip which contains billions of individual transistors. Which of the following is NOT a main part of the CPU.
10. There are ______________ that connect all the parts together.
11. The Control Unit has the following jobs/functions:
12. The collection of instructions that the control unit can carry out is called the ____________________. This _______ was hard wired into the CPU when designed.
13. The ALU consists of two types of processing: Arithmetic operations and _________ operations that deal with comparisons and other logic.
14. The result from the ALU tends to be stored in the accumulator register.
15. Along with the result generated by the ALU a set of _________ are set which include 'Zero' 'Carry' 'Negative' and __________
16. A register is a type of memory inside the CPU. A register can ….
17. An 8 bit CPU would have 16 registers on it and a 16 bit CPU would have 32 registers and so on…
18. Registers are used to hold ____________ while a software program is running
19. It is much ________to shift data to and from the registers than to the cache or RAM
20. The contents held in the CPU to be processed have to be copied from main memory into a special regsiter called the ______ which holds them temporarily.
21. The purpose of the ______is to temporarily store the address (location) of the next data or instruction in main memory,
22. When an instruction is fetched from main memory, it is later copied into the _________.
23. The _________ holds the current instruction ready for decoding and executing by the Control Unit
24. The 'Current Instruction' has two parts. The ______ and the operand (the_________ acts on the operand)
25. The operand (which is acted on) contains data, a memory address or sometimes both.
26. The purpose of the __________ is to store the location (address) of the next instruction.
27. Simple linear programs would just ______________ the program counter, but there is also the option of using ________________ to jump to another location entirely.
28. Each CPU family has its own instruction set. They are machine specific.
29. Instruction sets may be categorized by the maximum number of operands explicitly specified in instructions.
30. An _______________ program describes exactly what the hardware should do, step by step, in terms of the basic operations of the hardware