1. When talking about computer systems, hardware means the physical parts of the computer. Software means the ______________used with the physical computer.
2. Here are the components and peripherals necessary to assembly a basic modern PC. Which of these is a secondary storage device?
4. Secondary memory (secondary storage) is:
5. Computer hardware is the physical components of the computer. Fill in the blanks.
6. The _______________ is a circuit board that connects the CPU to the memory and all the other hardware. The CPU sits on the motherboard (also called the logic board).
7. _____ are circuits on the motherboard that connect the CPU to other components. There are many buses on the motherboard.
8. A bus moves instructions and data around the system
9. A bus enables a computer processor to communicate with the memory or a video card to the memory. You can think of it as a public transportation or school bus.
10. The bus contains _______________that contain addressing information that describes the memory location of where the data is being sent or where it is being retrieved.
11. Each wire in the bus carries a single bit of information, which means the more wires a bus has the more information it can address. Fill in the blanks
12. A bus is capable of being a _________ and today all computers utilize two bus types, an internal bus or local bus and an external bus, also called the expansion bus.
13. An external bus is capable of communicating with external components such as a ____ or SCSI device
14. A computer or device's bus speed is listed in MHz, e.g., 100 MHz FSB. The throughput of a bus is measured in ..
15. ESATA and SATA buses are used in:
16. PCIe: This type of bus is used in expansion cards and video cards
17. Short for _____________, USB (pronounced yoo-es-bee) is a plug-and-play interface that allows a computer to communicate with peripheral and other devices.
18. On small CPUs, the data bus and address bus are sometimes combined into one bus. This is called multiplexing.
19. This sends data to the memory or receives data from the memory. Data can flow both ways along the __________
20. This sends information about where data needs to go by sending an address to the memory. The address bus only sends data in one direction - from the CPU to RAM.
21. Which bus only allows data to be sent in one direction (from CPU to RAM)
22. Fill in the blanks about the FSB and BSB.
23. _____________are usually called I/O devices. They are directly connected to an electronic module attached to the motherboard called a device controller
24. An actual bus appears as an endless amount of etched copper circuits on the motherboard's surface. The bus is connected to the CPU through the Bus Interface Unit.
25. A data bus' width is measured by the number of bits that can travel on it at once. To increase the speed of a bus you could: