1. How many bytes are there per character in a text file?
2. Which is the smallest of these data capacities?
3. Which formulae can be used to estimate the file size of an image?
4. Which formulae can be used to estimate the file size of a sound file?
5. How many bytes are needed to store 32769 different colours?
6. How many bytes are used in Unicode?
7. The ASCII code is represented using 16 bits
8. What is the maximum number of values that can be represented in 8 bits?
9. What is the maximum number of values that can be represented in 7 bits?
10. A character set is the possible characters that can be represented by a computer system
11. The result of the binary addition 0110 + 0101 = 1011.
12. Overflow occurs when the pattern of bits is too small to be represented by the number of bits available in a register.
13. 11010100 in binary would be E4 in Hex
14. What is 011 in Decimal?
15. What is 0000 in Decimal?
16. What is this definition describing: The time period between taking samples/measurements. The more frequently the sound is sampled, the better the quality of playback
17. A gigabyte is 1024 megabytes / 230 bytes
18. A nibble or nybble is 2 bits
19. Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code: an 8-bit character set used by older mainframes.
20. Short for picture element. It is the smallest component of a bit-mapped image.
21. Analogue to Digital converter: takes real-world analogue data and converts it to a binary representation that can be stored on a computer
22. Data about data is referred to as:
23. What is a 106 in Hexadecimal?
25. Sound waves are ________ which means they are continuously changing.
26. The number of bits used to store each sample. The more bits used the better the accuracy of the sound file
27. The largest value you can have with four bits is:
28. What is the result in binary after doing the left shift?
29. If we wish to ______ we shift every bit to the left by one and insert a zero to the
rightmost bit. The original leftmost bit is discarded.
30. In decimal, you have the number 468, which is 111010100 in Binary. Shift it to the left to multiply by two and what happens?
31. In the following example, can you spot the error. We are trying to divide 8 using binary shift.
32. Can you spot the error in this binary shift (division)?
33. What statement is true about this lossy compression of images?
34. What is the benefit of compressing an image file for a use on a website?
35. A film could take up to an hour to download in uncompressed format whilst a compressed file could take just 12 minutes
36. Lossless compression is when…
37. Fill in the blanks for RLE
38. In the following picture we compress …
39. Run-length encoding isn’t a very effective option when compressing texts, but for images …
40. In "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" the total no. of characters is ….
41. A group of four bits, or half a byte, is sometimes called a ____________________
43. 1 byte can be used to store
44. This shows a memory stick with….
45. bits, bytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes etc are all used to…
46. A bit can be used to:
47. A byte can be used to
48. The symbol for byte is uppercase B. 16 bytes would be written as
49. A kilobyte is thought of as approximately 1000 bytes but to be accurate it is:
50. Have a look at the table below which shows the units of information leading to memory. Fill in the blanks