1. A standalone computer is a computer that is?
2. Which of these statements is true?
3. Where are you most likely to find a peer-to-per network?
4. Which of the following devices forwards packets across a network?
5. Which type of tranmission media is the least expensive to manufacture?
6. A network interface card is usually external to a computer and is required to forward packets along a network.
7. The amount of time data takes to travel from the source to the destination is referred to as:
8. Which of these terms refers to the maximum rate at which data is transferred
9. A data packet is a unit of data that travels along a network
10. A _____ transmits data between networks in units called packets. It can be used to connect a LAN to the internet
11. A _______ connects devices in a local area network wirelessly / using radio waves / using Wi-Fi
12. Client - Server: A group of devices connected to share data with each other in which all devices are equal /connected without a server.
13. Peer to Peer: A group of devices connected to a central computer (server) which manages the network and stores files centrally.
14. Disadvantage of peer to peer networks include:
15. An advantage of a client-server network is that user files are stored centrally so resources are used more efficiently
16. Generally speaking, a client-server network is more expensive to set up
17. The following is an advantage of cloud computing: It can reduce costs for a company as they do not need to buy additional hardware to store data
18. Local area networks are set up and created using software and virtual networks are created using physical cables and hardware.
19. The advantages of a virtual network include:
20. One obvious disadvantage of a virtual network is hugely decreased security. If one VLAN is compromised with a VIRUS, the whole network is affected.
21. Virtual networks on a bigger network are said to be _____________ so that when malware affects one VN the others aren't affected.
22. It is possible to use virtual networks to connect devices to a LAN through a WAN
23. A company like facebook may have HR offices in France, the US and India. They would require the HR offices across the world to share files and resources. This is known as a ?
24. VPN tunnelling is a type of ?
25. A VPN (Virtual Private Network) could allow external devices to connect to a private network over a public WAN (e.g the internet) without ?.
26. Once logged in to a virtual private network (VPN), the user ?
27. It is much __________to use a VPN to connect through the internet than to pay to maintain a WAN that the company sets up on their own.
28. There are two well known frequency bands available to use when setting up a WIFI network. 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz. 2.4GHz is?.
29. The waves in this radio frequency are about 5 inches long and can pass through walls, windows and others objects well and signals have a range up to about 100 metres
30. 5 GHz is less common. It has a wavelength of about 2.5 inches long and this suggests that it is?
31. With 5 GHz ________ speeds can sometimes be achieved because it is less crowded/popular frequency.
32. When setting up a wireless network, 2.4 GHz is compatible with standards for building a wireless network known as 802.11b and 802.11g.
33. Radio waves can be bounced around by many things, including walls, mirrors, water and metal surfaces. This can cause ?.
34. Each frequency _____ is divided up in to ____________.
35. The 2.4 GHz band has ____ channels.
36. All the channels available in a band are always available at any given time and in any given location.
37. The 5GHz frequency offers additional bandwidth over the 2.4GHz frequency
38. The 5GHz frequency is capable of carrying more non-overlapping channels which will result in less interference.
39. Encryption is a method of _____________data with a key code - the data must be decrypted to be made sense of.
40. With encryption is the data is intercepted it will be vulnerable as if it is found, it will make sense, even without the key
41. When you are using a secure site for example your bank, or purchasing on Amazon, encryption applied to keep your details safe:
42. The encryption method used on secure sites is called:
43. Piracy and security issues are some of the concerns relating to cloud computing
44. Twisted pair cable tranmission media is capable of having a much higher bandwidth than fibre optic.
45. An ISP is an internet service that translates alphabetic names into IP addresses
46. ________ is a service that allows individuals and organisations to make their website available on
the world wide web
47. Using the internet to store and access data and programs remotely is referred to as:
48. A bridge is used to connect two separate LAN networks. A computer can act as a bridge through the operating system
49. There are different types of servers. For example a printer server will make it easy for various devices to connect to a printer
50. What does a mail server do?