1. Logic is the foundation on which a computer system is built internally. Bits are switched __________________ using the binary 1's and 0's. In Boolean Logic, these translate into T (true) and F (false) statements.
2. George Boole was a largely self-taught English mathematician, philosopher and logician and is best known as the ______________
3. The keyword Bool represents a Boolean datatype in many programming languages and is named after George Boole.
4. Read the definition of a LOGIC CIRCUIT and decide whether it is true or false
5. In a statement like this: (A+B) . (C + D) - what do the brackets mean?
6. What is the boolean expression for this circuit? ….
7. What is the boolean expression for this circuit? …..
8. What is the boolean expression for this circuit? …….
9. Transistors are made of semiconductor material, which is neither a good conductor of electricity nor a particularly good insulator. Transistors are usually made from silicon
10. If an electric signal is grounded, the signal flows through an alternative route to the ground where it can do no harm. When a signal is grounded it is pulled down to ______volts.
11. An AND gate and an OR gate both require two transistors. What about a NOT gate?
12. What logic gate does this truth table describe?
13. Logic gates are used to build complex logic systems, such as burglar alarms and combination locks. What are D and E in this complex logic gate?
14. Looking at the logic gate and the truth table below, can you fill in the blank (for the question mark in the truth table)
15. If the inputs are both 1, analyse the outputs as shown on the diagram and point out, if any, the error.
16. Which colour/color box is showing an incorrect output?
17. What is the boolean expression for this AND gate?
18. What is the boolean expression for this OR gate?
19. Write the boolean expression for this circuit - -
20. Write the boolean expression for this circuit - - -
21. Write the boolean expression for this circuit -
22. What would the boolean expression be for the output C?
23. Write the boolean expression for this particular logic diagram (note that you can use brackets to denote an 'AND')
24. In the following image we have an AND gate with two _____ A and B, and one _________
25. An '____' gate as shown in the image is requires either input A or B to be a 1 for the output to be 1.
26. A NOT gate, as shown, inverts signals. So if the input A is 1, the output would be:
27. Most amazing laptops today have solid state drives. The magic gate behind SSDs is the ________
28. Digital systems are said to be constructed by using logic gates. These gates are the AND, OR, _____, NAND, NOR, EXOR and EXNOR gates.
29. Logic gates are primarily implemented using diodes or transistors acting as electronic switches, but can also be constructed using vacuum tubes, electromagnetic relays (relay logic), fluidic logic, pneumatic logic, optics, molecules, or even mechanical el
30. Read the following excerpt and see if you can fill in the blanks.
31. This excerpt explains how it all fits together. Fill in the blanks and be sure to read it all!
Excerpt that explains how it all fits together
When you string a bunch of these transistors together, then you
get what’s called a ____________, which lets you add, subtract,
multiply, and divide binary numbers in any way imaginable.
In a physical circuit,
these logic gates have:
All logic gates require some kind of input value so that they
have numbers to compare. These figures come in the form of voltages. When
your input voltage is 0V, then it’s considered to be low, or 0. And when
you have a voltage of 5V as an input, then this is deemed to be high, or 1.
Once a logic gate has a chance to process your input, it can then
make a decision on whether to open its gate or keep it closed. This output is
entirely determined by the type of logic gate you’re using, and some will only
open if you have two high voltages as an input, whereas others will only open
if you have a low voltage but not a high voltage as an input.
32. Read the guidance on the below image. Given the below what would A+B.C mean?
33. Enter the missing value
34. Enter the missing value
35. A NAND gate is the combination of which two gates?
36. The output of an OR gate is only 1 when both inputs are 1
37. A Half adder circuit is
38. An OR gate has one input and two outputs
39. A logic state can only be 1 or 0