1. In order to create a physical network we need certain hardware. For wired networks the transmission media would be what is used to carry the data around the network - effectively this is the ___________
2. There are different types of cables: 1. Coaxial 2. Twisted pair cable and 3. Fibre-optic cable. Which one of the following is a description of coaxial cable?
3. Which one of the following describes the Fibre Optic Cable?
4. Along the cable, data is sent in binary. Sometimes 'interference' can occur and the signals from other electrical sources (such as radiation or other large electrical devices in the area) can .....
5. Another very important piece of hardware that is needed to connect the computer to the transmission media and to the network comes as standard on most computers - this is the ____________________.
6. In a wireless network (like in most modern laptops) there is a piece of hardware called the WNIC (Wireless Network Interface controller) that works in the same way as the NIC except that....
7. In order for a computer to connect wirelessly to a network, the network will need to have _____________________________
8. Most WAPs will have security built in (e.g. you will need a username and password) but also will have at least three methods of encryption to choose from: What is the third?
9. Routers, hubs, switches and bridges are all pieces of networking equipment that can perform slightly different tasks. A router can often incorporate hubs, switches and wireless access within the same hardware.