1. Fill in the blanks for the following excerpt on an important type of systems software.
2. The boot program loads the operating system into the computer's main memory or random access memory (RAM).
3. Internet/Web OS: Is designed to run on the browser that is online.
4. Other types of systems software (apart from Operating systems) include:
5. Translators are systems software that translate low level languages into high level languages.
6. These programs ensure optimum functionality of devices and applications. They are 'useful' programs that the user can utilise on the system
7. Examples of Utility software include:
8. Disk degragmenters are used to:
9. File Compression utility software is useful to optimise disk space. An example is:
10. A __________ is the core part of the operating system that defines an API for applications programs (including some system software) and an interface to device drivers
11. What does GUI stand for?
12. The operating system on most computers and smartphones provide an interface that has icons, titles and menus. This type of interface is the GUI.
13. A program can be in only one of three possible states at a time. What are these three states?
14. Which of the following is a feature of a device driver?
15. Mobile phones do not have operating systems
16. An operating system (or 'OS') controls the general operation of a computer, and provides an easy way for us to ______________
17. Advantages of using a CLI (Command line interface) include:
18. A real-time OS could be installed in special purpose embedded systems like robots, cars, and modems
19. Single-user and single-task OS: These are typically installed on single-user devices like _______.
20. A network OS is typically used to share resources such as files and printers in a network setup or environment
21. An operating system is a type of:
22. Which of the following do operating systems NOT handle the management of:
23. What is a multitasking operating system?
24. A server OS, is designed to run on ?
25. Systems software is actually a type of functional hardware that is integrated into all machines.
26. Which of the following is an accurate description of system software:
27. What is the purpose of the kernel in an operating system?
28. A user interface is a 'visual' for a computer to interact with the CPU directly.
29. The following is referring to how a ______ is used:
30. Windows is a commonly used operating system. What are two others?
31. What is memory management?
32. An incremental back up stores the changes made since the last backup.
33. When a device uses fewer bits to transmit the same amount of data - this is referred to as:
34. The process of physically organising the mass storage device into the smallest number of fragments is called
35. What is the encryption method used by web browsers to encrypt details of purchases