1. How many bits are there per character?
2. In "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" the total number of characters is ….
3. In normal ASCII encoding a bit of text that had 44 characters (including spaces) would require:
4. To recap: each character in an ASCII file uses 7 bits but most files use extended ASCII which is ___________________.
5. To calculate the file size of an ASCII text file, count the number of characters, including spaces and that will be ______________.
6. Once you have found the number of bytes contained in a file, to find the number of bits you just need to:
7. The ASCII file size in bits =
8. How many bits and bytes are in this sentence?
9. How many colours can be represented in an image with 8 bits?
10. The number of pixels in an image is worked out by: image width x image height (in pixels)
11. How many bytes are there per character in a text file?
12. Which is the smallest of these data capacities?
13. The sample frequency has no effect on the quality of a recording.
14. Which formula can be used to estimate the file size of an image?
15. Which formulae can be used to estimate the file size of a sound file?
16. Just two bytes are needed to store 32,769 different colours?
17. A file's size can be influenced by a number of factors but ultimately the more information a file stores, the smaller it will be.
18. A sound engineer is recording a 30 second mono sound clip of some crows cawing outside the studio. Her recording equipment samples at 10 kHz and she
is using 8-bit sampling. How big will the sound file be in bytes?
19. A sound recording will last for 10 seconds. It will need four microphones (i.e. four channels of sound needed)
and for a good quality of sound, 16-bit sampling will be used at 5000 Hz frequency. How big will the sound file be in bytes?
20. An old recording has a size of 2.2 MB. The
label on the box says that it was recorded in mono (one channel), that it had a recording sampling frequency of 20 kHz and used 8-bit sampling. How long would this piece of music last?