1. What is virtual memory?
2. Where is data stored when it is in virtual memory?
3. When several programs run at the same time, the RAM can be full. Instead of closing programs, the operating system uses virtual memory to store some data.
4. Read/Write speed of a hard disk drive is faster than RAM.
6. Hard drive failure rates are measured with MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures). Which of these failures would be reason to replace your current hard disk?
8. Effective access time is directly proportional to:
9. Virtual memory frees applications from managing shared memory and saves users from adding more memory modules when RAM space runs out.
11. A process is thrashing if:
13. The use of virtual memory slows a computer because data must be mapped between virtual and physical memory, which requires extra hardware support for address translations.
14. The first hard disks, created in the 1950s, could be up to 20 inches in diameter. Which company invented the hard disk?
15. When purchasing a hard disk which of these is generally NOT a specification that would be of concern?