1. A construction firm, BuildOTech, specialises in designing modern school buildings. The firm uses high end computers with high performance CPUs, GPUs and large amounts of RAM. Give two uses the firm might have for GPUs. (2 marks)
2. The firm has the need for machines that have large amounts of RAM. Describe what is meant by the term 'RAM'? Note: Define the term RAM, give two explanations for what it does/functionality. (3 marks)
3. High performance CPUs are also required by the firm, together with the RAM requirement. Describe four characteristics a high performance CPU might have (2 marks)
4. BuildOTech's computers each have a multi-tasking operating system installed. State the name of and describe two methods that the operating system can use to divide the contents of RAM. (4 marks)
5. Why do you think it is necessary for BuildOTech to have computers capable of multitasking? Give one example. (2 marks)
6. The computers in BuildOTech are connected in a LAN and the LAN is connected to the internet. Give one advantage and one disadvantage to the architectural firm of a client-server set up rather than a peer to peer setup. (2 marks)
7. It is essential that the firm set up a firewall. Listed below are some of the reasons (also important for you to know for your exam) that the firm may use a firewall. Describe the term 'firewall' (1 mark)
Reasons for having a firewall:
1. Prevent unauthorised access to a network.
2. To restrict applications that are used
internally that have internet access.
3. To restrict websites that can be accessed
from within the company.
4. To protect the company?s data/intellectual
8. List the data items that will be examined, in the order that they will be visited, when "Lister" is searched for.
9. Which of the following options indicates correctly the time complexity of the algorithm used to search for data in a binary search tree?
10. Graph traversal is a more complex problem than tree traversal. State two features that a graph might have, which a tree cannot have, that makes graph traversal more complex. (2 marks)
11. Data Structures (like binary trees) are categorised on the basis of being static data structures or dynamic data structures. Give three difference between these two types (3 marks)
12. Explain why the graph in the below figure is not a tree.
13. Fill in the blanks for vertex Forno (4) and Fiver (5).
14. Referring to the below adjacency matrix, select the correct statement.
15. Explain the circumstances in which it is more appropriate to represent a graph using an adjacency list instead of an adjacency matrix. (1 marks)
16. Read the excerpt below and fill in the blanks for step 1 below.
17. A large social media company stores records about its customers. Read the excerpt below and explain why a hash table is better suited to a linked list to store customer records. (4 marks)
Often an individual customer's record needs
to be accessed.
This is done by searching using the Customer ID.
Explain why a hash table is better suited than
a linked list to store the customer records,
particularly as the company acquires
18. A charitable organisation is trying to make the works of C.S Lewis available to more people. State an advantage to the website's visitors of the file being compressed. (1 mark)
19. Lossless takes away some of the information from the original while Lossy preserves all the information from the original. With text the loss of small amounts of information will make it unreadable.
20. Read the excerpt and context below and complete the boolean expression for Q.
21. The following expression simplifies to: ~(A * B) * (~A + B) * (~B + B)
22. Explain what the line ten DAT 10 does. (2 marks)
Below is part of a program written using the
Little Man Computer instruction set.
This section of code can exit by either
jumping to the code labelled pass or fail
depending on what value is in the accumulator
when the code is run.
test SUB ten
ten DAT 10
23. The table below determines whether the program branches to pass or fail given the following values in the Accumulator when it is run. Which row is incorrect, if any?
24. The complete program (code) is shown below. What instructions in the program when executed, changes the value in the Accumulator?
25. Convert the denary number 188 to an unsigned 8-bit binary number.
26. Convert the denary number 188 to hexadecimal.
Show a representation of denary -119 in 8-bits using sign and magnitude.
28. Show a representation of denary -119 in 8-bits using twos complement.
29. Using normalised floating point binary representation using 4 bits for the mantissa and 4 for the exponent, represent the denary value 1.75.
30. Using normalised floating point binary representation using 4 bits for the mantissa and 4 for the exponent, represent the denary value -1.75.
Give your answer in this format: xxxx xxxx (each x represents a 1 or 0)
31. A bit shift moves each digit in a number's binary representation left or right. Read the excerpt below and select the correct answer.
32. Netflix is a service that allows users to stream movies over the Internet - it has a relational database that stores the films it offers. The database has the field called: Film Title. Why may this be suitable as a secondary key? (2 marks)
Read the excerpt below and identify the law with which the company are complying.
A database stores information about songs on a music
One of the tables called Song has the fields:
TITLE, GENRE, ARTIST, LENGTH
A band called Nef Beppard removes their permission
for their songs to be streamed.
The company removes all the songs belonging to Nef
Beppard from their service.
34. Write an SQL statement that will remove all songs by Nef Beppard from the table Song.
35. Some games use a 2d game library. Explain why a linker would need to be used after compilation. (2 marks)
36. What does the following diagram show? Mention the name of the circuit as well as the two gates that are included in the circuit. (3 marks)
Write your answers seperated by commas: x,y,z (use capital letters for the gates)
37. The Boolean expression represented by the Karnaugh map shown below, in its smallest form, is (A AND ¬D) OR (A OR B AND C) OR (B AND¬C OR ¬D)
38. A low level instruction is shown below. Is the following statement referring to Immediate,Direct or Relative addressing? >>123 is the address of the data to use
39. A large company is building an operating system for a new mobile phone that is soon to be on the market. The code is written using an object-oriented programming (OOP) language. Fill in the blanks for the following advantages of OOP.
40. A fourth advantage has to do with polymorphism. Polymorphism means that code can be written _______________________. This reduces the volume of
code the team need to produce.