1. Joseph buys a new computer with the latest operating system and some utilities. Which of the following is an example of an operating system?
2. State three functions of the operating system. (4 marks)
3. Joseph has several utility features/programs that have come with his new PC. Antivirus and Firewall software are:
4. A ___________ and file transfer utility are utility programs that are used for disk organisation.
5. What type of utility program is being described in the following excerpt?
6. Joseph has purchased some software, but his new PC has also come packaged with some open source software. Define the term 'open source'. (2 marks)
7. Joseph purchases some software that comes packaged with a magazine in a CD-Rom. State whether a CD-ROM is magnetic, optical, solid-state-storage or titanium-alloy.
8. What type of software is being described in the following excerpt?
9. A local primary school has all of its computers in a local area network (LAN). State three benefits of a LAN (3 marks)
10. It is essential that the primary school's network is secure. State four measures which the school will need to take to ensure the security of the network. (4 marks)
11. The school's network topology can be best described in the following excerpt. What type of topology is being described here?
12. Computers in the network can be identified using both IP addresses and MAC addresses. State four differences between IP addresses and MAC addresses. (4 marks)
13. The school's head teacher has a powerful PC with a storage device. Explain why secondary storage is needed in most computer systems (2 marks)
14. There tends to be a big move in the tech world today towards solid state storage as opposed to magnetic storage. Mention four characteristics (either advantages or disadvantages) of solid state storage (4 marks)
15. Maggie's computer has 512 kilobytes of ROM and 8 gigabytes of RAM. Describe the purpose of ROM (2 marks)
16. Referring to the above question, describe the purpose of RAM (2 marks)
State one difference between ROM and RAM, other than the size and the purpose. (1 mark)
18. True or False. The speed of a CPU is usually measured in GigaHertz (GHz)
19. True or False. The hard disk drive is part of the CPU
20. True or False. If a CPU has many cores, this slows down the computer
21. A computer has 1024 megabytes of RAM.How many gigabytes of RAM does the computer have? (1 mark)
22. A computer sometimes uses virtual memory. Describe what is meant by virtual memory and state why it is needed. (2 marks)
23. A bank uses the following (read the following excerpt). What is being described below?
24. A tablet computer uses _______ memory. The purpose of ______ memory is described below.
25. Identify four events that take place during the fetch-execute cycle.(4 marks)