1. Steve wants to run a 3D game simulation. A computer with 4 cores and 1 GHz clock speed is likely to run faster than a computer with 2 cores and a clock speed of 1.4 GHz.
2. Identify four internal components (other than clock speed and cores) which could improve the performance of the computers. (4 marks)
3. Explain one reason why the cache size affects the performance of the CPU. (2 marks)
4. Steve also requires some secondary storage (long term, non-volatile storage). Name three options for storage Steve could select from (3 marks)
5. The following steps explain the steps involved in the F-D-R cycle (in the CPU). Fill in the blanks for 1, 2, 5,6,7 and 8. (a mark per word = 6 marks)
1.An instruction is fetched from _________.
2.The instruction is then __________.
3. The decoded instruction is then executed so that
4. the CPU performs continuously
5. The process is ____________.
6. The ______________. is incremented
7. The instruction is transferred to the _____.
8. The address of the instruction to be fetched is
placed in the ______.
6. Define the term "embedded system". Examples of embedded systems include dishwasher, washing machine, mobile phone, manufacturing equipment. (2 marks)
7. Von Neumann architecture revolutionised computing. The following excerpt shows the registers in use with definitions. Which definition is incorrect? (select the correct statement from the options below).
8. The CPU has a clock speed of 3.8 GHz. Describe what is meant by a clock speed of 3.8 GHz.
9. "My computer has a quad-core processor, so it will run twice as fast as a computer with a dual-core processor." Explain why this statement is not always true. (2 marks)
10. A particular computer will only have 4GB of RAM, but Ruth suggests that virtual memory can be used instead of adding more RAM. Explain how virtual memory can compensate for the lack of RAM in Ruth's computer.
11. Explain why it would be beneficial for Ruth to get more RAM instead of relying on virtual memory. (2 marks)
12. Jonathan is creating a film for his church. He will be using a digital video camera.Why does this device need secondary storage? (2 marks)
13. Jonathan's brother Pete has a digital camera with solid state storage. State five reasons why this type of storage is most suitable for a modern digital camera (4 marks)
14. The videos are eventually transferred to a PC. The computer has 1GB of storage free. Calculate the number of videos that could be stored on the computer if each video was 100MB in size.
15. Jonathan can select from automatic backup options: Incremental or full backup. A full backup is time consuming but an incremental backup would _____________.
16. The backup feature is considered a useful utility program. Name four other utility programs that modern computers tend to have. (4 marks)
17. Jonathan will upload his films to youtube and release them under a Creative Commons license. Explain how a Creative Commons license will impact the use of Jonathan's videos by other people.
18. A house has computers in each room and a central router. Every room allows both Ethernet and WiFi connections to the router. Is the house network a LAN or WAN?
19. Ethernet refers to a _____________________and it is not (unlike WIFI) likely to be affected badly by interference.
20. Using Ethernet, data is more likely to be transmitted at a faster speed and it has a longer transmission range before the data is lost (unlike WIFI).
21. Describe the purpose of the router in a person's house? (4 marks)
22. Carla, aged 83, wishes to connect to the internet in her home. She has a router. Name three other pieces of hardware she needs to do so. (3 marks)
23. Name the system that matches URLs (e.g. www.testandtrack.io) to IP addresses (e.g. 126.96.36.199) on the internet.
24. Carla, now connected to the internet from her home, is susceptible to network threats associated with the internet. Name four such threats. (4 marks)
25. A _______________ defines rules for data transmission. A _______________ also defines standards for data transmission
26. A user wants to transfer a file directly from his computer to his friend's computer.What protocol comes into play here?
27. A customer wants to securely log into her bank's website to check her account balance. What protocol comes into play here?
28. The definitions for IMAP and SMTP below are correct. (Select 'True' if correct, and 'False' if you think they should be the other way round)
29. In today's world, many companies and organisations are opting for storing their data in the cloud. State three disadvantages of storing data in the cloud for employees and compay owners. (3 marks)
30. Explain how defragmentation software could overcome the problem of a slow computer system. (3 marks)