1. Decimal (Base 10) is the only number system in the world.
2. The ancient Mayan civilisation used the following number system (see image below). This is a ___________________ number system.
3. Binary is a __________ number system.
4. In Binary you can create any number in the world using ___________________.
just four digits, 0,1,2,3
just two digits, 0 and 1
just the number 0, which can be placed next to any other number
just ten digits, 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
5. Why do computers use Binary? (Why is it that Binary is the foundational language for computer science and computers?)
6. Convert the Denary (Decimal) number 3 into Binary. Use two bits in your answer. (1 mark)
7. Binary additon is similar in some ways but different from the sort of addition we do with decimal numbers. Using Binary addition what is 1+0? (1 mark)
8. In Binary addition what is 1+1? Write the result and mention what number is carried over as well. E.g. 1 carry 1. (2 marks)
9. In Binary addition what is 1+1+1? What goes in a) and what goes in b). Write your answer in this format: a=?, b=? (2 marks)
10. In the following example, what are the values of a and b? Write your answer in this format: a=?, b=? (1 mark)
11. In a bitmap image, it is possible to store letters in a table, where each letter represents a colour. Explain how a bitmap image is stored in a computer (2 marks)
12. Explain how reducing the number of colours in an image can reduce its file size. (2 marks)
13. If you want a greater range of colours and tones, it would be better to use 2 bits. A greater number of bits would result in blurring.
14. According to the following chart, using 3 bits would allow you ___________________.
15. In pixel __________, the term _____________ refers to the total number of count of pixels in an digital image
16. Which of the following (types of image) is the image on the left likely to be?
17. What is the following Binary number in Decimal?
18. What is the following Binary number in Decimal?
19. Neriah has created a number system. In it, 0 = *; 1 = & and 2 = @. Her number system is a base 3 system. What is the following number in Decimal? **@?
20. Steve wishes to write the number 512 in Binary. How would he do so?
21. Convert the following Binary number into Decimal: 00001111
22. Convert the following Binary number into Decimal: 10001000
23. Convert the following Binary number into Decimal: 12309312
24. A base 3 number system would have:
25. The largest number that can be represented in four bits is: