1. Watch the video below and fill in the blanks.
3. Parallel and multi-core processing both refer to the same thing: the ability to __________________________________ (in more than one core/CPU/machine.) So in this sense multi-core is just a means to do parallel processing.
4. Analyse the "pipeline" below and fill in the blanks.
5. The image shows an Intel CPU with a math co-processor. What is a co-processor?
6. Describe how the CPU and RAM work together to make a tablet computer work and execute instructions/programs?
7. What is one of the key advantages of Cache memory?
8. Which of the following are key advances in memory technology that allow for significant improvement in the performance of certain devices - e.g. tablets.
9. Using examples from the image above, what is an opcode? (You can also look up the term 'Operand' which is the data/value that is being operated on)
10. Explain how the CPU can determine whether it represents an instruction or data
11. Data and Instructions in use are stored in the:
12. What does NOT affect the performance of the computer?
13. If the number of cores increases from two cores to four cores,what is the exact effect on performance?
14. If the processing speed goes up from 1GHZ to 4GHZ ? what is the
exact effect on the performance of the computer?
15. If the processing speed goes up from 2GHZ to 4GHZ and the number
of cores goes from 2 to 4 ? what is the exact effect on the performance of the
16. If the processing speed goes from 1GHZ to 4GHZ and the processor is
changed from an 8 core to a dual core processor ? what is the exact effect on the
performance of the computer?
17. What component holds the address of the next instruction
18. Results of calculations are held in this register:
19. This holds the instruction/data temporarily after it is brought to the processor from the main memory
20. This holds the number of the current instruction being worked on
21. This would perform an operation including the logic command/word ?And?
22. This would send a signal such as ?Memory Read?
23. This would perform an operation such as 5+8 (1-4)
24. This would reduce the number of memory/processor transfers
25. This sends signals such as ?I/O Read?
26. This sends signals such as ?Memory write?
27. This doesn?t happen during the Fetch part of the cycle:
28. Which of the following is held in ROM?
29. What carries the address of the next instruction that will be fetched
30. One of the properties of an address bus is that it is uni-directional.