1. You've probably heard people complain about the network being slow. Nothing can be done about network performance.
2. Many factors directly impact how fast application queries and responses will flow through the network. Which in the list is NOT a factor?
3. Bandwidth is a big factor in network performance. What is network bandwidth?
4. In the 'olden days' a non-broadband dial up modem had a bandwidth of ….
5. Basic copper wire based broadband (download bandwidth) has a bandwidth of:
6. Read the excerpt below that provides additional descriptions and see if you can fill in the blanks.
7. Compared to all the descriptions and networks you've explored, what do you think the bandwidth of a wi-fi network would be?
8. Chosing a network is a matter of balancing cost and performance because …
9. It is possible for even the most impressive network to slow down if enough people are using it at the same time.
10. The "contention ratio" is ….
11. Assume all your neighbors are home and surfing the net on Sunday evening and most people are asleep on Monday morning 2am. When would the internet seem most responsive?
12. If you were a big business that absolutely needed a reliable and fast internet connection - what could you do?
13. A contention ration of 100: 1 would mean that…
14. A 1:1 ratio would mean that only a single connection is allowed on the line. This would guarantee a constant speed at all times!
15. Wired networks will use Ethernet (copper) cables to carry data. They come in two main categories.
16. Fibre optic cable transfers data using light and is super fast - in fact the bandwidth is only limited by…
17. Wi-fi is considered a radio technology and so its performance is affected by factor that affect radio. One of these factors is:
18. Read the excerpt below and fill in the blanks:
19. In addition to the choice of band and channel which other factors from the list can affect Wi-fi network performance?
21. Generally speaking, the longer the cable (the length of the cable)….the -
22. "Latency" is a word you will hear a lot when dealing with networks. It is the technical word for…….
23. "Latency" is much more of an issue (in terms of how far a bit has to travel) in LANS.
24. In a huge network, every switch, router and cable would add (delay) latency to the connection.
25. A high performance network should have high latency.