1. Computing hardware is an essential component in any computer system. How would you define hardware?
2. Read the excerpt below that describes the different categories of devices. Which of the following is NOT Hardware?
Input Devices – these include any kind of device which can be used
for getting data into the computer system from the outside world.
Some examples include; keyboard, mouse, microphone, heat sensors,
switches, touch screens, digital cameras and so on.
Processing Devices – this usually refers to the Central Processing
Unit (CPU) which carries out program instructions.
Storage Devices – these include any device which will store data
until it is needed for processing. This can include temporary
storage devices, like the computer’s memory, or long-term storage
devices like hard-drives, DVD drives or tape drives, etc.
Communication Devices – these deal with the transfer of data
from one computer system to another and include routers which link
networks and modems which allow computers to communicate data via the Internet.
Output Devices – these include any devices which can provide data
in a useful format to a user. For example a computer monitor,
speakers, printers etc.
None of these devices are examples of hardware
#4 - Communication devices do not count as Hardware
#2 - Processing devices do not count as Hardware
They are all hardware
3. Peripheral Devices are hardware devices but are ______________________________.They are typically connected by cables (USB, network, firewire etc.) or wirelessly (Bluetooth, wireless network links etc.).
4. The Operating System (OS) of a computer is a set of hardware devices that control the way the user controls the computer and access application software. The OS also controls the way application software accesses computer hardware such as input and output
5. Operating systems are system's _______________ and examples include: Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 7, Mac OS X, LINUX and UNIX are all examples of operating systems used on computers.
6. CPUs need instructions to tell it what to do. These instructions are collected together to form a computer program. Fill in the blanks
7. What are the two main types of software?
8. How would you define Systems software? Read the text on the image below to help you select your answer.
9. Application software is a computer program written for a specific purpose (e.g. Word processing software or a music player). Read the excerpt below to answer the question.
10. A printer driver (see excerpt below) is an example of: